Touhoku University was founded in 1907 as Touhoku Imperial University, the third imperial university in Japan. It was comprised of the colleges of Agriculture and Science. The College of Agriculture was transferred in 1918 to Hokkaido Imperial University and transferred back in 1947. It is now divided into the three divisions of Biological Resource Science, Life Science, andBioscience and Biotechnology for Future Bioindustries, as well as the Field Science Center for research.
The Graduate School of Agricultural Science is located in the north-central part of Sendai City.