Also known as: Chiyoda Castle (千代田城)
Edo Castle is a flatland castle located in what is now the Chiyoda District of , once called Edo in the Toshima District of . It has been designated a special historical landmark and is now used as the .
The warrior to first use Edo as his base was Edo Shigetsugu, and the Edo Clan resided there from the end of the to the beginning of the . After the destruction of the Edo Clan in riots in the 15th Century, , a vassal of the Ougigayatsu-Uesugi Clan, built Edo Castle there in 1457. Doukan was later killed by his master Uesugi Sadamasa, and the Uesugi took possession of the castle. After the fall of the Ougigayatsu-Uesugi Clan, the castle came under control of the Houjou Clan.
After the , bequeathed Houjou's old fiefs to and decreed that he should move into Edo Castle. Ieyasu did so on Aug. 30, 1590 and later established the Tokugawa Shogunate with Edo as its military capital. His grandson greatly expanded the castle and grounds from 1593 to 1636.
The last Tokugawa shogun surrendered Edo Castle to the imperial forces on Apr. 11, 1868. The castle was renamed Tokyo Castle, then Imperial Castle. The Meiji Emperor took possession of the castle in the later part of the same year made it his imperial residence.