The hospital at which Yuiko stays isn't given in the novel, but is implied in the manga to be this hospital, a fairly big institution in the City of Matsumoto.
A large residential and commercial area located in northern Minato, Tokyo.
A prefecture located in the Northeast Region of Japan, ruled by the Satake Clan from 1602 to the late 1800s.
Also known as: Sendai-jou (仙台城), Gojourou (五城楼)
Lit. 'Fresh Leaves Castle Ruins'
The castle sat on Aoba Hill and was naturally defended by a 400-foot cliff on one side and the Hirose River on the other. Masamune built the Inner Citadel and the Western Wing on Aoba Hill, and Date Tadamune built the Second Wing and Third (Northern) wings at its base. The ruins of the Third Wing is now the Sendai Museum.
All that remains of the original castle today are old stone walls; the rest were dismantled or destroyed in fire, earthquakes, and bombings.
A Japanese-style inn owned by Asaoka Maiko's family located on the banks Lake Chuuzenji. It has two stories, with the second affording a gorgeous view of the lake.
Also known as: Hakone Lake, Ashinoko Lake, Manji Pond
Legend has it that during the Nara Period, when the lake was still called Manji Pond, it was home to a poisonous nine-headed dragon. In order to appease the dragon's anger, the villagers would offer maidens to it as sacrifices. Holy Priest Mangan, who had come to Mt. Hakone to practice asceticism, heard the tale and bound the evil dragon to a rock at the bottom of the lake in order to save the villagers. The dragon promised to protect the mountains and villages, and thus reformed, became a dragon god. Thereafter the villagers fed the dragon red rice instead of their daughters.
A city founded in Hyougo Prefecture in 1871, Ashiya was designated as an urban planning area in the early 1900s, which led to the development of large single-family homes along the hills overlooking Osaka Bay.
An upscale residential district located in Minato Ward, Tokyo.
A city located in Nagano Prefecture.
The castle of the Maou, so named because of the vow made by the earth spirits to the Shinou: should the castle be occupied by any save the Maou, their blood would be taken in compensation for their crime. Said to be the royal castle which is impregnable.
The castle has three floors (five floors in one section) and 252 rooms, with long stairs and tall ceilings. It also has a barracks of 4500 full-time soldiers.
A human kingdom neighboring Shinma Kingdom by sea, it is hostile towards Shinma at the beginning.
Lit. "River of a Thousand Songs"; A river 367 kilometers (228 miles) in length which runs through Nagano Prefecture.
An ancient province of Japan located on Kyuushuu which is now the north-western part of Fukuoka Prefecture. Chikuzen bordered the provinces of Buzen, Bungo, Chikugo, and Hizen.
A Kouyan-Shingon temple built in 824 by Kuukai for Emperor Junna with Amida Nyorai as its principle buddha (the first one in Japan to have crystal eyes). The bell tower of the temple, built in the Heian Period (794-1185) is also Japan's oldest and the only structure built by Kuukai from that time period.
The garden of the temple is located just through the bell tower gate, and on the left is the main temple building. The ceiling of the main temple is known as the "bloody ceiling". When Ryuuouzan Castle behind the temple was attacked by Matsunaga Hisahide during the Sengoku Period, there was also fighting within the temple. It's said that the blood of soldiers flowed from the open corridor into the main temple. The floorboards were later used as ceiling boards, and the bloody footprints from that time can still be clearly seen.
Also known as: Shigisan-ji, Shigi no Bishamon-san
Chougosonshi Temple is a famous Shigisan-Shingon temple located about halfway up Mt. Shigi in Nara. The temple is the head temple of Bishamonten and was built by Prince Regent Shoutoku in 594 in the spot where Bishamonten was said to have first appeared in Japan in the month, year, and day of the Tiger.
A station on the main line of the local electric railway, located in Uozu City. It is an overhead station, built in 1936, located on the 3rd floor of the Dentetsu-Uozu Station Building.
Also written as: Etchu
An ancient province of Japan bordering on Echigo, Shinano, Hida, Kaga, and Noto, which is now Toyama Prefecture. The territory was contested by the clans of neighboring provinces during the Sengoku Era, the Uesugi Clan among them. The Oda Clan took the province from Uesugi Kagekatsu, and Sassa Narimasa governed the area for a number of years, followed by the Akimoto, Matsudaira, and Hosokawa Clans.
An ancient province of Japan located on Honshuu which is now the northern part of Fukui Prefecture.
Also known as: Chiyoda Castle (千代田城)
Edo Castle is a flatland castle located in what is now the Chiyoda District of Tokyo, once called Edo in the Toshima District of Musashi Province. It has been designated a special historical landmark and is now used as the Imperial Palace.
The warrior to first use Edo as his base was Edo Shigetsugu, and the Edo Clan resided there from the end of the Heian Period to the beginning of the Kamakura Period. After the destruction of the Edo Clan in Kantou riots in the 15th Century, Oota Doukan, a vassal of the Ougigayatsu-Uesugi Clan, built Edo Castle there in 1457. Doukan was later killed by his master Uesugi Sadamasa, and the Uesugi took possession of the castle. After the fall of the Ougigayatsu-Uesugi Clan, the castle came under control of the Houjou Clan.
After the Siege of Odawara, Toyotomi Hideyoshi bequeathed Houjou's old fiefs to Tokugawa Ieyasu and decreed that he should move into Edo Castle. Ieyasu did so on Aug. 30, 1590 and later established the Tokugawa Shogunate with Edo as its military capital. His grandson Tokugawa Iemitsu greatly expanded the castle and grounds from 1593 to 1636.
The last Tokugawa shogun surrendered Edo Castle to the imperial forces on Apr. 11, 1868. The castle was renamed Tokyo Castle, then Imperial Castle. The Meiji Emperor took possession of the castle in the later part of the same year made it his imperial residence.
A city located in the north-east area of Yamanashi Prefecture with a population of around 26,500 people
A private women's university founded in 1870 and established as a university in 1965, located in Kanagawa Prefecture. Its motto is "for others".
Mount Fuji is the highest mountain in Japan, an active volcano, and one of its "Three Holy Mountains," frequently depicted in literature and art. It is popular tourist and mountain-climbing destination.
Fukashi Junior High (a fictional school) is where Takaya and Yuzuru attended junior high. Takaya had a reputation as a trouble student there. He and Yuzuru were in the same class in their first year and in different classes in their second year. Takaya started skipping school about midway through his first year, after his parents divorced.
Kayama was in Yuzuru's class in second year, and Yokomori and Ichinose were a year above them.
Fukui City is the capital of Fukui Prefecture, located in the north-central part of Honshuu on the coast of the Sea of Japan. The city was heavily bombed and devastated during World War II.
Futarasan Shrine is a Shinto shrine located in the city of Nikkou founded by Holy Priest Shoudou. It enshrines three mountain deities: Ookuninushi, Tagorihime, and Ajisukitakahikone of Mt. Nantai (also called Mt. Futara), Mt. Nyohou, and Mt. Tarou.
Lit.: "Mound of the Selfless"
The mound which holds the remains of those executed in the Kasuke Ikki, built to honor them after those remains turned up during construction in 1950. Located in Miyabuchi, Matsumoto.
A city located in Nagasaki which comprises the south-west half of the Gotou-Retto Islands in the South China Sea.
Grantz is located on the northern tip of Shinma Kingdom and is the birthplace of Adalbert von Grantz.
The northern-most prefecture of the Kanto region of Japan's main island of Honshuu.
Hachigata Castle was a mountain castle built in Musashi Province (now Saitama Prefecture) in 1476 by Nagao Kageharu in defiance of the Yamanouchi-Uesugi Clan which his clan served when the then-clan head Uesugi Akisada passed him over for inheritance of the position of Nagao clan head in favor of his younger brother Nagao Tadakage.
Five years later, Oota Doukan of the Ougigayatsu branch attacked the castle and finally took the castle for Uesugi Akisada. During the next few decades the two branches of the Uesugi Clan fought over the castle.
After the Battle of Kawagoe Castle in 1546, the Houjou Clan became the rulers of Musashi, and Houjou Ujikuni became master of the castle in 1564. Thereafter it served as one of the bases from which the Houjou Clan controlled the Kantou.
It strategic position at an important crossroads made it a target for various attacking warlords, including Takeda Shingen in 1569 and Uesugi Kenshin in 1574, but its formidable defenses, both natural (nestled as it is between two rivers and high cliffs) and man-made, enabled it to repel all comers.
The castle withstood siege from 35,000 troops with a garrison of only 3,000 for a month during the Siege of Odawara, but Ujikuni finally surrendered on the condition that the lives of his men would be spared.
Hachiouji Castle was a mountain castle built by Houjou Ujiteru on Mt. Fukazawa in 1587 in a strategic part of West Kantou (now Tokyo). Hachiouji, or "Eight Princes", was so named because the eight sons of the eight Buddhist Gozu Tenno deities were enshrined at the summit of the mountain.
Ujiteru made Hachiouji his main fortress, but in 1590 during the Siege of Odawara, Ujiteru and his main vassals raced to join the battle at Odawara, leaving only a few vassals, troops, mobilized peasants and their families—in all around 1000 to face the 15,000 of the combined armies of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Uesugi Kagekatsu, Maeda Toshiie, and Sanada Masayuki.
The castle was overrun and fell in a single day. Yokochikenmotsu Yoshinobu, the chamberlain, and the other vassals committed seppuku because they had not been able to take decisive action. The women and children killed themselves or threw themselves into the waterfall of the lord's palace, starting with Ujiteru's wife Hisa. Stories say that the waterfall ran with blood for three days and three nights.
Tokugawa Ieyasu later abandoned the castle.
The castle ruins were declared a historical landmark on June 9, 1951.
Hachiouji City is the eighth-largest city in Tokyo, a little west of Tokyo's center, and today serves mostly as a residential city for people working in Tokyo. It contains many schools and universities, and attractions include Takao-san, a popular hiking location, the Hachiouji Castle Ruins on Jinba-san around an hour outside the city, and the Tama Goryou.