A prefecture located in north-central Japan on the island of Honshuu, its capital is Toyama City and was once known as Ecchuu, governed for some part of its history by the Uesugi Clan.
Glossary by type
Search glossary
Toyama City is the capital of Toyama Prefecture, located on the coast of the Sea of Japan with a population of ~420,000 (2005). It was also the capital of the ancient province of Ecchuu.
During World War II, 99.5% of the urban center of the city was destroyed on August 1 and 2, 1945, when the American 73rd Bomber Wing dropped incendiary bombs on the city, at the time an aluminum ball-bearing and special steel production center.
Toyama Bay is Japan's largest open-sea inner bay to the Sea of Japan, and is known for its depth and abundance of fish. It is also famous for the mirage that appears during the spring and winter.
A castle once located in Mutsu Province (Fukushima Prefecture).
Also known as: Tsutsui Junkei Tomb (筒井順慶墓), Gorin Touooi-dou (五輪塔覆堂)
Tsutsui Junkei was originally buried at Enjou Temple in Nara City, but was moved to this spot. The tomb and shrine grounds originally encompassed a much larger area. The shrine itself is a small structure, but well-designed. It holds the five-ring pagoda used at Junkei's memorial service as well as the stone lantern given to the shrine on the first anniversary of his death.
Built in 1430 by Tsutsui Junei, the castle became the main castle of the Tsutsui Clan. Tsutsui Junkei was its seventh generation master. He lost the castle to Matsunaga Hisahide in 1564. Junkei later became a vassal of Oda Nobunaga and recovered the castle upon Hisahide's death and his appointment as governor of Yamato by Nobunaga in 1577, but abandoned it in 1580 and moved to Yamato-Kooriyama Castle in obedience to Nobunaga's one-castle policy.
Nothing now remains of the castle but a stone monument marking the spot where it once stood.
A town surrounded by hills located in a remote location of Shimane Prefecture.
A city located in Nagano Prefecture founded on May 1, 1919. It merged with the towns of Maruko and Sanada and the village of Takeshi to become the new city of Ueda on March 6, 2006.
Also Known as: Ueno Onshi Kouen (上野恩賜公園)
Ueno Park is a large public park located in Tokyo near Ueno Station. It is famous for its many museums, including the Tokyo National Museum, the Orient Museum, the National Science Museum, the Shitamachi Museum, the National Museum for Western Art and the Tokyo Metropolitan Fine Art Gallery.
A village located in Gunma Prefecture, founded on April 1, 1889 at the start of Japan's municipal system.
A natural scenic city park located on Tachibana Island in the Uji River in southern Kyoto, very close to Byoudou-in. It is connected to the eastern bank by Asagiri Bridge and the western bank by Tachibana Bridge.
A private elementary school located in Uozu City which stands on the former site of Uozu Castle. It was established in 1873 as Uozu's first junior high school with Choukyou Temple as its temporary base. The new school buildings were built in 1879 at its current location. It became an elementary school in 1883.
The campus holds several monuments, including a stone monument from the ruins of Uozu Castle and one containing a tanka poem composed by Kenshin and erected in December, 1940.
Also known as: 小津城, 小戸城
A branch of Matsukura Castle, built in 1335 by the Shiina Clan, the castle was taken over by the Uesugi Clan during the Sengoku. It then became a strategic castle for the Uesugi for control of Ecchuu, and Kawada Nagachika served as its chamberlain for many years. In 1582, the castle was surrounded by Oda troops led by Shibata Katsuie, Sassa Narimasa, Maeda Toshiie, and Sakuma Morimasa. A fierce battle and siege ensued, (the Battle of Uozu Castle), and the castle finally fell when 13 of Uesugi's commanders committed ritual suicide. However, the Oda army immediately withdrew after hearing of the death of Oda Nobunaga at Honnou Temple. In 1583, Sassa Narimasa again laid siege to the castle, and Suda Mitsuchika surrendered to him, ending Uesugi control of the castle.
After Narimasa, the castle passed into the hands of the Maeda Clan, but was destroyed under the "One Province One Castle" decree of the Tokugawa Shogunate.
Oomachi Elementary School as well as a courthouse now stand on the former site of the castle, of which very few traces remain.
A coastal city located in Toyama Prefecture, founded in 1952. Its population was around 46,000 in 2005. In the Sengoku Era, the area was controlled by the Uesugi Clan with Uozu Castle as their stronghold.
Uozu is known for three mysterious phenomena: 1) the mirage, which occurs from April to June, during which faraway objects such as ships or the opposite shoreline seem to grow vertically or hang upside-down above them, 2) the firefly squid, which rise to the surface to spawn from the end of March to June and glow with a bluish white light, and 3) the buried forest, a conifer forest buried 2000 years ago such that only their trunks were preserved.
The capital of Tochigi Prefecture.
Van der Veer Island is a tropical volcanic island located in the territory of Cimarron. It's about 100 kilometers in diameter and has lots of hot springs and a sea rich in seafood. Its main industry is tourism, and it is famous for its yearly Fire Festival. The demon sword Morgif was discovered in a hot spring on the island.
Voltaire is a territory located in the eastern part of Shinma Kingdom and is governed by the von Voltaire family (currently Gwendal von Voltaire).
A castle contructed in Mutsu Province by Watari Motomune, a vassal of the Date Clan. The castle was later held by Katakura Kagetsuna, then Date Shigezane (1602).
The eastern entrance into Tokyo Station, located in the center of the Tokyo metropolitan area.
Also known as: Ka-jou (霞城), Kichiji-jou (吉字城)
A castle located in the City of Yamagata, Yamagata Prefecture. Designated a historical landmark.
Built in 1357, the castle became the chief of Mogami Yoshiaki's castles when he was rewarded land for his service in the Battle of Sekigahara.
A prefecture located in the Northeast region of Japan which is encircled by mountains and the Sea of Japan. Its capital is the city of Yamagata.
Lit.: "Mountain-shaped", the City of Yamagata is the capital of Yamagata Prefecture, founded in 1889.
A prefecture in the central region of Honshu, formerly known as Kai and ruled by Takeda Shingen during the Sengoku Period. Also contains a city of the same name.
An above-ground JR West railway station located in Yamato-Kooriyama, Nara. In 2005 it served around 8500 people per day.
A city located in Nara Prefecture, founded in 1954, with a population of around 95,000.
An ancient province of Japan situated on Honshuu which is present-day Nara Prefecture.
Lit.: "Four Pillars Shrine"; a Shinto shrine located in Matsumoto, built in 1872, dedicated to the four gods Amenominakanushinokami, Takamimusubi, Kamimusubi, and Amaterasu Oomikami.
A formidable mountain castle held by the Naoe Clan, vassals of the Uesugi Clan. It was an important base for Uesugi Kenshin's expeditions to the Kantou Region and to Ecchuu.
The City of Yokohama is the capital of Kanagawa Prefecture and the second-largest city in Japan after Tokyo. It is also a major port and commercial hub and historically one of the first cities to be opened to foreigners during the rule of the Tokugawa Shogunate.
One of the strongholds of the Date Clan during the Sengoku and the birthplace of Date Masamune. It became the residence of Uesugi Kagekatsu and later generations of the Uesugi Clan as well as governmental seat of Yonezawa-han in the Edo Period. Located in Yamagata Prefecture.
A famous red-light district of the Edo Period located in Edo (present-day Tokyo) established in 1617 by the Tokugawa shogunate. As a result of its efforts to build up the town and samurai residences around Edo Castle, the shogunate displaced many townspeople, residences, and businesses, among them many brothels. These brothels petitioned the government for a red-light district where they could be consolidated. At first the shogunate ignored the petitions, but after many appeals, it officially recognized the petition led by Shouji Jin'emon (owner of Nishida-ya Brothel) in 1612, which promised to:
- disallow stays of consecutive nights
- investigate and return kidnapped girls
- report criminals
Yoshiwara was originally established near Nihonbashi. Later, after the Meireki fire of 1657, it was rebuilt north of Asakusa on the outskirts of the city.
"Yotsubashi-suji," or "Four Bridges Boulevard," is a nickname for the Osaka North-South Road. It is a major street running north-south through central Osaka.
Lit. "Light of Goodness Temple Plains"; A basin within the mountains of central Nagano City in Nagano Prefecture.
The mausoleum of Sendai-han's third-generation lord, Date Tsunamune, which was burned down in a fire, along with Zuihouden of Sendai-han's first-generation lord, Date Masamune and the Kansenden of Sendai-han's third-generation lord, Date Tadamune, in World War II. It was rebuilt in 1985.
The mausoleum where Date Masamune is enshrined, located in Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture. It was built in the year after his death according to his last will and testament by the next lord of Sendai-han, Date Tadamune. It was designated a national treasure in 1931.
However, the mausoleum sustained massive damage from an airstrike by the US Air Force on July 10, 1945 during strategic bombings in World War II. It was burned down in a fire, along with the Kansenden of Sendai-han's second-generation lord, Date Tadamune and the Zenouden of Sendai-han's third-generation lord, Date Tsunamune.
There was dispute over the reconstruction of the mausoleum, but reconstruction began in 1974 and finished in 1979. During excavation of the site, Date Masamune's remains and burial accessories were discovered.